Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Workshouse 1881 census

Whilst researching my tree my mind saw visions of the hardship, but at least I haven't found any of my ancestors yet been forced into the Leicester Union workhouse. Looking at the "INMATES" registered on the 1881 census gives an insight into life around this time, bringing history alive and certainly makes me thankful for what I have.

One surname that I did recognise was that of SWINGLER, as it was an Elizabeth Swingler that witnessed the marriage of Charles Partridge and Ann Garlick (great - great grandparents) as yet I am unsure if the two swinger children on here are related. Ann Garlicks grandmother Ann was formally a Swingler.

However in the Market Harborough poor law/workshouse census there is an Elizabeth Partridge listed aged 72, born 1809, need to find out if this was a relation.


I've digressed again ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home